<span class="highlight">Solar</span> <span class="highlight">Panel</span> Theft - Prevention

Hi All,

Just back from the Xmas camping trip, great fun but as always it concerns me to leave the solar panel hanging out in the sun while we are away trekking or on our daily activities. I know that there are a few methods for physically preventing theft, but not always practical to padlock it to something and Rottweilers are generally not allowed in National Parks.

What I wondered was if any panel manufacturers had ever looked at some kind of electronic disabling device for solar panels? Some kind of key code without which the panel will not work. Understand that it wouldn't physically stop it being nicked, and also that for every device like this some lowlife will work a way around it. Another thing to go wrong as well I suppose. But a sticker on the panel indicating that it will not work once disconnected (without the key code) might put a number of would be thieves off?

Just a thought.

Matt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ted - Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 20:52

Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 20:52
Hi Matt, have included a link to a Myswag forum post. Garrick there makes lengths of security cables for solar panels fridges etc. He has improved the design after feedback. Read the forum as the suggestions and positive feedback is impressive. Best wishes Ted

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fc5d2ca6df68120e6bb0d2fbec897d24&topic=6942.0
AnswerID: 440896

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 21:41

Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 21:41
Thanks Ted. Might grab one of these for the fridge.

Matt.
FollowupID: 712821

Follow Up By: didiaust - Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 06:51

Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 06:51
We use the cables for 2 solar pannels and the fridge - but there will be plenty out there that will still beat the cable
FollowupID: 712846

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 15:09

Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 15:09
Any yotti shop will make those up to any length you need in a range of sizes, with or without plastic coating or hard thimbles in the end.

About $5 per end then a few dollars per metre for the cable out to as long as you want. They sell miles of that stuff for yacht stays. It is a mongrel to cut without a proper set of sheers.

That cable plus rope are the cheapest things in those shops.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 712892

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 21:26

Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 21:26
I don't know if this is a good anti theft device, but micro dot it?? its a spray on paint thats not visible to the naked eye!!! you need infra red (black light) to see it. so if your panels are stolen all the police do then is put a black light over it, the paint is highlighted and then they check to see if they have micro dots, each can is marked indiviually so there are no two cans with the same number, you can also specify that you want more cans of same number when ordering, i think???

they supply stickers and stuff to say its protected by an anti theft device.Micro dot/ data dot.

the other suggestion, if you are around a few other campers would be a quell magnectic alarm. i call them screamers, screamers

Dick smith electronics uses them in there cabinets. nice and loud, 120 db, noise travels far when in the bush!!! and especially with light fingered thevies.

So i hope i gave you some ideas.
AnswerID: 440901

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 23:32

Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 23:32
All very good but $99 a can and a wipe with turps removes it.

Have used a can on my stuff and when I sold the van it just wiped off.
Same on a camera lens I sold.

You actually use a supplied little miniature magnifier to read the dots.

Its good if you can hide where you put it like on inner panels of guards in a vehicle but easy to remove if you can see it.

Its actually ultra violet light that you use to see them, as it says on the Data Dot page.

You can also specify the sequence of numbers that you have on the dots. like your birthday or something personal.

FollowupID: 712841

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 22:05

Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 22:05
G'day Matt

I don't think there is an effective way of preventing anything being swiped by a "low life" who is intent on thieving. It is the opportunistic rat that you need to deter from thinking your property would look better in his/her hands.

A simple wire strop (braided lifting sling) with swaged eyes at each end capable of being locked to gether will possibly make the evil thinking bugger just keep walking.

These images are of a mining companies fruitless efforts in hanging on to their property, sadly the broader community is now left in the dark.Image Could Not Be Found

The Solar panels were housed in a fairly substantial cage mounted on a strong post concreted into the ground ~ in full view ~ on a hill top, it still did not stop the determined parasite.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Judging by the damage to the lock area of the battery box, they tried to knock them off too, but were they foiled by the padlock ?
AnswerID: 440905

Reply By: Member - Josh- Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 22:58

Thursday, Jan 06, 2011 at 22:58
In 3 yrs on the road we never had any issues with this, quite the opposite. We often had people move the solar panel for us while we were out so we got full day sun. When we first started we were worried about it but never had an issue and got used to it. I know this doesn;t answer your question just thought it might help put your mind at ease.

Josh
AnswerID: 440913

Reply By: outback epicurean - Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 08:09

Friday, Jan 07, 2011 at 08:09
Hi

All you can do is lock it with a cable so that then if it goes, you can claim it on insurance. I think if it is not somehow locked ot attached, if stolen then the insurer could say you made no attempt to stop a theft, ie similar to not locking the house. My panel was damaged by a stone and CIL replaced with no problems as covered by trailer insurance for theft, breakage etc

However, as other have said, we have camped all over and never had a problem in any parks etc. Biggest concern is in some towns that have a bad reputation for petty theft but mainly alchohol and small very saleable items.
Also, if leaving the trailer parked O/N in a street could be an issue in some areas.

cheers
AnswerID: 440929

Reply By: Atdigital P/L - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 20:51

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 20:51
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 444220

Reply By: Atdigital P/L - Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 21:13

Friday, Feb 04, 2011 at 21:13
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 444223

Sponsored Links